Saturday 16 February 2013

Stepping into the Circle

Working in an environment like the High Street during the Fringe could be (without the danger) like working in a war zone. You have to be on the ball at all times. Have a sixth sense when it comes to what’s happening around about you. And gain the respect of everyone that matters to get the photographs you want.

Respect gains you entry in to positions a press pass will never get you. Like shooting a Wedding on the High street last year or getting fisheye photos from the centre of circle shows a year or so before. I’ve shot personal intimate moments; family pictures for many performers, because I’m part of their family a photographer, a friend.
This festival it was time to take my life in my hands and try something a little more exciting.
Stepping beyond the safety of the shows edge I stepped into JP’s show. I would be within inches of his deadly double headed battle axe for the photo opportunity of a lifetime; even if it was just a few minutes away.
With the sparkle in his eyes which meant I was going to die or the axe was going higher than ever I took up position. The camera I fired thru a burst of shots. Not daring to check afterwards. It was a moment to savour only later once I’d made it home.
I’d survived to fight another day. To carry on in the battle ground that is the High. And hunt out any other shots I could risk my life doing.

No comments: